Sunday, October 17, 2010

Beginning of St. Thomas Parish as told by James Connelly

James Connelly Recounts Beginning of St. Thomas Parish

James Connelly, who supplies the Herald with the following history of St. Thomas church, is a resident of Duluth, residing at 5711 Huntington street.  He was 84 years old on the 26th of March.  He located at St. Thomas in 1857 and is probably the only surviving person who can recall the beginning of the parish.  He left St. Thomas 45 years ago, but retains vivid memory of the early days in and around St. Thomas.

            In the spring of 1857, Mrs. John McGukin, who was living with her husband in John Cairy’s cabin in Section 21, Derrynane township, was taken seriously ill, and Mr. McGukin sent word to Bishop Cretin of the St. Paul diocese, requesting him to send a priest to administer the sacraments to her.
            The Bishop secured a Benedictine priest from St. John’ College, Collegeville, Minn., whose name was Fr. Heindel, and he arrived at the settlement early in April.  He administered the sacraments to Mrs. McGukin and on the following morning celebrated the first mass that was ever celebrated in the settlement, in John Cairy’s cabin, and after mass he baptized Ann Connelly, “age thirteen months,” and she was the first person baptized there.
            Fr. Heindel continued to come to the settlement at intervals until the latter part of 1857, when he was succeeded by Fr. Cornelious Whitman, also from St. John’s, who attended the parish until 1860, when he was succeeded by the Rev. Fr. Reis, who was also from St. John’s.
            In 1858 the Catholic population undertook to have the parish organized.  They held several meetings, which were not always harmonious in regard to where the church would be located.
            The Sullivan faction wanted to have it located in their locality, which was near the Scott county line, but they were beaten by the votes of those who favored a location farther south.
            Michael Connelly and James Hickey offered to donate two and one half acres each at the northwest quarter of Section 17, Township 112 North, Range 24, west and at the same time, Patrick Ronan and Patrick Cassin offered to donate seven and one-half acres each “at the present location” which was part swamp and meadow lands and that offer was accepted.
            At a meeting of the proposed parishioners they voted that the parish would be six miles square, comprising the west half of Derrynane and the east half of Tyrone townships.
            They delegated Michael Connelly to go to St. Paul with their petition for the new parish, together with the plat of the same, to present to Bishop Cretin, which he did, and the Bishop granted their petition and the parish of St. Thomas was organized.
            The parishioners cleared part of the land, hewed logs, and built a log church about 36 by 60 feet, which had a shingled roof and board floor but no sanctuary rail or pews.
            The front door faced the west with the altar attached to the wall in the east end of the church.
            After the church was built, services were held in private homes in the winter time, because they had no way of heating the church.
            Most of the time the services were held in John Hickey’s place, which was afterward known as “Moses Murphy’s old place,” and it was not until late in 1862 or 1863 that the parish secured a heating stove for the church.
            The priests who took charge after Fr. Reis were:  Fr. Kazelberger in 1862 to 1863, from 1863 to August 1866; Fr. Theodore Venn, August 1866 to December 25, 1867; Rev. Alexander Berghold, September 1868; Rev. Fr. McGenty (three months) spring of 1869; Rev. T. C. Kennedy until 1882; Rev M. Cauly until August 1889, when Rev. T. C. Kennedy took charge gain.
            The parish was a mission until Rev. M. Cauly was pastor. 
            During the summer of 1867 the frame church was built under the supervision of Rev. Alexander Berghold.  He was the architect himself.
            The present church and parsonage were constructed during Rev. M. Cauly’s time in the parish.
            The following is a list of the names of the early settlers of St. Thomas commencing in the year of 1855:

Edward Nestor
Bill Sullivan
Patrick Griffin
Owen Riley
Timothy Shea
Richard O’Connell
Michael O’Connell
John O’Connell
Patrick Cassin
Martin Dunn
John Murry
John Carry
Hugh Doherty
Dennis Connelly
Hugh O’Neil
Thomas O’Neil
Timothy Burns
Daniel Burns
Mike Griffin
James O’Leary
John Clifford
Thomas Clifford
Patrick McKeary
John Shea
Dan Doyle
Patrick Moran 
               Michael Connelly
              James Hickey
              John Hickey
              Dan Fowler
              Con Reardon
              Con. Carny
              Patrick Ronan
              Con Ronan
              Con Regan
              William Regan
              Michael Murry
              Mike Courtney
              Pat Courtney
              John Donahue
              Morris Donahue
              John McGukin
              James McGukin
              Jeremiah Sullivan
             “2 Dan” Sullivan
              Thomas Duffy
              Morris Flemming
              Cornelius Regan
              John Murphy
              James Sullivan
              George Connelly
              John Holloran
              Richard Heatherston

Belle Plaine Herald, November 1, 1934

1 comment:

  1. My grandfather, Dennis Bartholomew O'Neill, was born just north of St. Thomas and I would like to contribute some stories and information to this blog/website. How can I do that?